polka dots

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring Baskets 2010

Just sitting on the couch, waiting for some children.... The children dig in!

close-ups



So....having seen a great idea on a friend's post last year, we started the "spring baskets" in the Herring home this year! On the first day of Spring, the girls wake up to find animal tracks that will lead them to their baskets somewhere in the house. I loved the idea because it kept all the Spring stuff (all those trinkets and candies and eggs that have nothing to do with Easter) on a Spring day, and left Easter morning for what it's really about - the celebration surrounding the reality of Christ's resurrection. Because I am me, however, I managed to even mess up the simplest of plans. (Remember....I missed playing the role of the Tooth Fairy, not just one - but TWO - nights in a row!!) So, the plan - mind you....Jason's living it up in Bali at this point in time - Sunday, March 21st, I was going to have everything set up so that they could follow tracks to their baskets. Friday, I went out for Ladies' Night Out and came home, pulled out all the loot I had accumulated and made sure I had all I needed. (you know, I want to be one of those well-prepared, organized Moms who I admire). Well, early Saturday morning (not Sunday), Clancey woke me up saying, "Mommy, my calendar says that today is the first day of Spring. Not March 21st. March 20th." Let me tell you, I was yanked out of a perfectly good dream to the harsh reality that my "perfect plan" was already tainted. Missed again, Stacey! Anyhow...weighing the options (just do it the next day, as planned, or get up and put it all together quickly right now), I chose the latter. For this way, we wouldn't be rushed for church (that'll be next year). I asked Clancey to stay on my bed and let me get it all together. I did. Everyone got their basket. Everyone loved their loot. But this year....no tracks. I planned on photocopying them Sat night. So...maybe next year, Mom will get it right. I guess that my children will be raised knowing that parents certainly aren't perfect! Remember....first day of Spring....March 20th, not the 21st. :)

1 comment:

  1. Part of me thinks the date changes year by year but I can't remember since we did not get to have spring day on the first day of spring because I had nothing with which to celebrate!!!!!!! I felt awful when someone little girl reminded me of all our "holidays" we've missed because of the move. Funny how those quickly become a tradition we all look forward to. We're aiming for May 1. I have to find all new baskets and stuff since ours is on a boat. Still.

    ReplyDelete