polka dots

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Going North...

before going East. 
We left the cold beach and headed north, to see the coast and the huge redwoods.  We are trying to check off all the little trips that remain on our California bucket list!  So...with 2 + weeks left, we are doing our best!
A view from the road....alot more country that we expected.  Farms, sheep, rural towns along the way.....

Da girlz

There was a rookery at a state park and here are two of the seals (one's looking at us!)  Notice the other seals on rocks.

Old trestle beams left on the beach. The rookery is on the rocks that are just beyond the beams

more seals!

Girls with some big walking sticks! (notice jackets are still on)


Da boyz

More boys.  So glad we grabbed the backpack.  Beach walking wouldn't have been so pretty - or very fast - with Liam. 

They were having their own conversation right before I snapped this.  Macy caught me!  :)

See the whale off to the right??!  Supposedly, it was too late in the season to see a grey whale, but we were captivated!!

More of the whale...

And another.  I kept trying to get the spouting, but would miss.  I guess National Geographic photography isn't really in my future.

Last one


Avenue of the Giants

unreal!

in a tree

Annabelle compared to a fallen redwood

macy b

Who's happy to join the fun like his sisters??!

another downed tree

The End.

We had a great time just seeing such a wildly different California that we expected.  I think that's been a common thread in our time being stationed out here.  This area is nothing like we anticipated!  I remember receiving condolences from folks in NC when we found out our next station was in California.  We pictured more Berkley and Southern Cal as far as how crowded life would be, forgetting that this is mostly an agricultural state.  Too bad the town and country folks aren't the ones we see on TV.  (thanks, Hollywood and San Fran)
As our time in CA is drawing to a close, we are realizing how bittersweet this moving on will be.  This is the first move the girls really "get" - although Macy asks each morning, "Are we going to RI today?"  She was a baby when we got here, and now....4.  Annabelle doesn't remember another house. Liam - well....he's our Calfornia boy.  LOL  ("surf's up, dude!") Our church family and our friends here are priceless;  I sat in church this past Sunday getting teary-eyed for the familiarity and sense of family I will miss.  I can honestly say, this is the first assignment destination I'd sign up for again. I keep wondering if moving will continue to be a sense of adventure for me, or if it will keep getting harder.  I'm sad to leave my friends - our friends - here;  yet, at the same time, being a kid who grew up moving, it would freak me out to have to choose my own place to live and stay!  That seems a bit confining to me. :)  
Anyhow....last dental, orthodontic, and medical appointments scatter our schedule.  As well as packers, movers, cleaners, and parties! (always leave room for fun!)  So, off to some appts we go!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment